It is important to me to have a handful of quick and easy recipes up my sleeve for weeks when I flat out have NO time to cook. Often times slow cooker recipes will taut themselves as being “quick” but they first call for searing the meat on the stove, or crisping the meat to finish it in the oven for 15 minutes. And there is nothing wrong with adding these steps – in fact, I’m sure they add nice flavor and texture!
But I have found I browse right past those recipes when I’m in need of a TRULY short prep time meal. So I wanted to provide you with a VERY basic slow cooker pork recipe that will still make your mouth water. Fair warning: this carnitas pork recipe DOES take several hours to cook! But it only requires about 5 minutes up front in prep time and 5 minutes to shred the pork at the end. It is incredibly versatile in how it can be used too… here are a few of my favorite ways to eat this pork:
- Over a bed of spinach topped with salsa, cilantro, and avocado
- Over finely chopped red cabbage with an apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing
- Scrambled into eggs for breakfast
- Reheated on its own with a side of roasted root veggies and potatoes
I’m sure you can think of other ways to eat this – get creative and let me know how it goes!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4-8 hours
3-4 lb pork shoulder (or butt) roast
4 cloves garlic
½ c apple cider vinegar
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
2 t salt
½ t black pepper
½ t chipotle chili powder
- Roughly chop or mince garlic.
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Using two forks, shred the pork. This should be very easy – if it requires much effort, let it cook longer.
- Serve in any of the above-listed dishes and enjoy!